Award-Winning San Luis Obispo Car Accident Lawyer
Have You Been Injured in a California Car Accident?
Thousands of people die in California each year as a result of fatal car accidents. The injuries sustained in an automobile crash vary greatly, ranging from minor cuts and bruises to lifelong disabling injuries, such as paralysis or traumatic brain injuries. Some victims of car accidents are unable to work or care for their families. Even a minor accident can lead to financial struggles and stress. If you or a loved one suffered in a California automobile accident, you need to speak with a San Luis Obispo car accident lawyer.
Under California state law, individuals who suffer personal injuries due to someone’s negligent or neglectful actions are entitled to recover damages in the form of monetary compensation. While many people believe that insurance companies will jump in and come to their aid, they are unfortunately slow to respond and often don’t present fair settlement offers, which sometimes forces people to settle for less than their injury claim is worth. This is why you must retain an experienced San Luis Obispo car accident lawyer.
Earl E. Conaway, III, A Professional Law Corporation, is the recipient of The National Trial Lawyers “Top 100 Civil Plaintiff Lawyers.” Having spent more than a decade focusing on representing personal injury and auto accident cases, we have the necessary experience to ensure that you receive the highest and best settlement or award for your injury claim.
Do not make the mistake of thinking that you can negotiate with insurance companies. You get one chance at a settlement to help cover your necessary medical expenses, and you must receive compensation to cover past, present and future monies.
Exceptional San Luis Obispo Car Accident Lawyer for A Host of Accident Claims
Our firm has successfully handled many personal injury claims from motor vehicle accidents, including:
- Truck Accidents - If a negligent truck driver has injured you, our legal team can assist in researching and representing your case. In many truck accidents, liability can extend to the employer, which affords victims even higher compensation amounts.
- Rideshare Accidents - A rideshare accident occurs when you are in a collision with a taxi, Lyft or Uber driver. Company drivers are required to carry both company and personal insurance coverage. However, these claims can be complicated, especially if you are the victim of an accident.
- Hit and Run Accidents - A hit and run accident involves someone who leaves the scene of the accident without stopping, identifying themselves or providing aid to anyone in need of assistance. Whether or not they caused the accident, leaving the scene is illegal and may come with criminal penalties depending on the circumstances.
- Distracted Driving - There are generally four different types of distracted driving.
- Visual - When your attention is on something other than the road.
- Auditory - Hearing something that does not relate to operating or driving a vehicle, such as talking on a cell phone.
- Manual - Touching something other than the steering wheel, such as texting.
- Cognitive - Zoning out and thinking about something other than driving.
- Drunk Driving - California has some of the strictest impaired driving (DUI) laws in the state. If someone is drunk driving and hits you, it is essential that you work with a well-versed San Luis Obispo car accident lawyer to ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve.
Your San Luis Obispo Car Accident Attorney Can Also Recover Damages from Defective Safety Devices in Cars
In some cases, negligent drivers are not the cause of the accident, but defective safety devices are to blame. Unfortunately, vehicles may fail, which can cause or contribute to an auto accident. A defect may cause serious injuries, even in what would have been a minor collision.
Types of defective safety devices:
- Steering Mechanisms
To receive compensation for a defective safety device from a manufacturer, a San Luis Obispo car accident attorney will prove that had the equipment not been defective, you would not have sustained severe injuries. We must hold automobile manufacturers responsible for faulty products to avoid others from being injured.
What to Do After a California Car Accident
If you’ve been injured in a car accident, the next steps are critical if you need to pursue a claim. Unfortunately, taking action to pursue a claim can also be overwhelming, especially when you need to focus on recovering from a serious injury. If you’ve been in a car accident and don’t know what to do next, an experienced San Luis Obispo car accident lawyer can help you get the compensation you need.
1. Seek Medical Attention
The most important step is to get the medical care you need. Even if you’re not sure you’re injured or declined treatment immediately following your accident, you should see a doctor as soon as possible and get a thorough medical exam. If your symptoms worsen or persist, don’t hesitate to schedule a follow-up appointment. Not all injuries are immediately apparent.
This is important because your medical records will form the foundation of your claim. You will need to prove that you were injured, the cause of your injuries, what treatment was necessary, and whether there would be any long-term or permanent issues.
2. Follow Your Doctor’s Orders
One step that is often overlooked is doing exactly what your doctor tells you. We understand how hard it can be to miss work or otherwise meet your responsibilities and obligations. If your doctor ordered bed rest, stay in bed for the prescribed number of days. Go to your physical therapy appointments. Respect any other limitations (such as lifting or bending) that your doctor has recommended.
Failing to follow your prescribed treatment can delay your recovery and even lead to further injury. In addition, the other party and their insurance company will use this against you in the event that you need to pursue a claim.
3. Report Your Accident to Your Insurance Company
You also need to report your accident to your insurance company. They will have a number of questions regarding the accident, but try to limit your comments as to the basic facts such as where and when it happened. Your insurance company can later use whatever you say as a basis for making a lowball settlement offer or denying your claim outright.
4. Document Your Claim
If you decide to pursue a claim, you will need to produce evidence that proves the accident was the other driver’s fault. You will also need to prove the value of your claim. As a result, you need to keep copies of the following:
- Any accident reports or witness statements
- Photographs taken by you or others of the scene of the accident and your injuries
- Any and all medical records including bills
- Documentation of lost income
5. Contact a San Luis Obispo Car Accident Attorney
As mentioned above, all of this can be incredibly difficult to manage if you’ve been seriously injured. As a result, you should at least speak with an experienced car accident attorney. They can identify whether you have a claim and help you understand your options. If you decide to hire an attorney, they can handle every aspect of your claim so that you can focus on your recovery.
Let a San Luis Obispo Car Accident Lawyer Fight for Your Compensation
If you are the victim of a car accident, you may be suffering from extreme pain, exhaustion and confusion. One of the last things you need on your mind is the headache of figuring out the next steps in your legal recovery process and how to receive just compensation for your injuries. The best decision you can make in the event of an accident is to contact a qualified attorney who has experience in personal injury law.
If you are the victim of an accident, an experienced San Luis Obispo car accident lawyer can help you secure the necessary compensation from the responsible party to help facilitate your recovery. Not all attorneys are equally qualified to handle personal injury cases, which is why it is essential to select a car accident law firm that has years of experience handling automobile cases in the state of California.
Earl E. Conaway, III, A Professional Law Corporation, is dedicated to representing victims of car accidents. We offer free case consultations and return all emails and phone calls within 24 hours. If you are not able to visit our California office location, we can arrange to meet at your house or the hospital. Contact us today to schedule an appointment with our legal staff.