Experienced San Luis Obispo Truck Accident Lawyer for Commercial Vehicle Accidents
Representing Victims of Severe Tractor Trailer and Semi Truck Accidents
The impact of being hit by a semi-truck is devastating. If you have been the victim of a truck accident, you are lucky to be alive and those who survive often face a lengthy recovery stemming from broken bones, brain trauma, soft tissue damage and other life-altering injuries. If you are the victim of a truck accident that you did not cause, Earl E. Conaway, III, a leading San Luis Obispo truck accident lawyer can help you obtain compensation for your medical bills, lost income and other damages you have sustained.
Types of Truck Accidents in California
As a skilled personal injury attorney, Earl E. Conaway, III understands the challenges facing victims of truck-related accidents. Using all the resources at his disposal, he helps negate insurance companies’ low-ball offers.
All truck accidents are not equal, as there are many different types of trucks on the road. The way an accident occurs and the resulting damage can largely depend on the type of truck involved in the accident. Also, different trucks have different licensing requirements, such as commercial vehicles, tanker endorsements, etc. Some examples of trucks include:
- big rigs,
- certain modified buses,
- cargo trucks,
- construction trucks
- coal trucks
- delivery vans
- fuel trucks
- logging trucks, moving vans
- steel trucks, tanker trucks, tow trucks
- And more.
No matter the type of vehicle that caused the accident. Wait to speak with the commercial truck’s insurance company and talk to a qualified personal injury law firm, first.
A San Luis Obispo Truck Accident Lawyer Knows the Inspections and Evidence Needed to Help Your Case
As an experienced San Luis Obispo truck accident attorney, Earl E. Conaway, III knows how to handle trucking accident cases. There are many things to take into consideration when inspecting accident scenes and gathering proof on victims’ behalf.
- Logbooks - It is necessary to carefully examine truckers’ logbooks to determine if they violate federal laws for commercial driving operations.
- Blackbox and GPS Data - Blackbox and GPS data are critical, as they detail what driving inputs occurred before impact.
- Site Inspection - A thorough site inspection should be conducted immediately, which includes an analysis of tire marks, debris and specific measurements. Our San Luis Obispo truck accident attorney has access to roadway design and reconstruction experts to help determine the cause of an accident.
Common Causes of California Truck Accidents
There are several reasons why truck accidents happen, many of which are due to negligence. Common causes include:
- Driver Distraction - Due to the size and weight of large trucks, federal laws prohibit truck drivers from texting or using cell phones while driving unless they have hands-free devices.
- Fatigue - Federal law strictly limits the number of hours that commercial truck drivers are allowed behind the wheel. However, due to deadlines and company pressure, some truck drivers ignore these restrictions, which can result in driver fatigue.
- Intoxication - To stay awake, truck drivers may use stimulant drugs, which is illegal.
- Maintenance - Improper truck or trailer maintenance can lead to accidents or malfunctions. Additionally, tire blowouts are a critical concern for truckers. Large truck tires are usually retreaded, which is when new tread is added to old wheels. If this is not done correctly, it can cause the tread to peel off at high speeds, which may cause the driver to lose control of the truck and/or trailer.
- Negligent Driving - Inclement conditions can cause trucks to have difficulty slowing down or cause trailers to jackknife. Truckers need to adjust their driving to consider poor weather conditions.
- Improper Loads - Whether a loading company or a worker loaded the truck improperly, this can cause cargo to fall onto roadways, tip trucks and trailers off balance or cause trailers to jackknife.
A San Luis Obispo Truck Accident Lawyer Establishes Liability
Establishing liability is a critical component to receiving a sizable settlement or award. Depending on the cause of the truck accident, other parties may become involved in your case, including:
- Trucking Companies - Trucking companies often own trucks and the driver’s insurance may be covered by a corporation, which means that their company attorneys may be involved in the case.
- Truck Manufacturer - If a truck has a mechanical failure that is determined to be the manufacturer’s fault, such as faulty air brakes, liability may shift to them.
- Loading Company - If cargo falls out of a truck, which causes a crash, the company that loaded the truck may have to bear some of the liability and expenses.
- Shipping Company - If a shipping company paid to have a truck driver deliver cargo and they miss a deadline due to an accident, they may also pursue legal action against the trucking company or driver.
Each one of the parties mentioned above will likely have their own insurance companies and legal representation. With so many variables involved in trucking accidents, it’s no wonder these cases quickly become complicated and require a professional San Luis Obispo truck accident lawyer.
Serious Injuries that Come from Truck Accidents
As previously mentioned, victims of California truck accidents usually suffer severe, life-changing injuries. Earl E. Conaway, III, A Professional Law Corporation, represents victims who suffer from:
- Head and Neck Injuries - Trauma to the head and neck area may result in brain injuries, cervical damage, whiplash or severe concussions.
- Spinal Cord Injuries - Back injuries may include bulging vertebrae, herniated discs, nerve compression or paralysis.
- Broken Bones - Many victims of truck accidents sustain bone breaks, fractures or sprains.
- Internal Injuries - The impact of a crash can result in organ damage and internal bleeding.
- Burns - Explosions due to chemical cargo or engine fires can cause extreme burn injuries.
- Fatalities - Unfortunately, truck accidents are usually catastrophic and have a high rate of fatalities, which can result in wrongful death claims.
Contact an Experienced and Dedicated San Luis Obispo Truck Accident Lawyer
Earl E. Conaway, III is a top San Luis Obispo truck accident lawyer. Our team is dedicated to protecting the rights of victims who have suffered severe injuries resulting from the negligent actions of truck drivers. Contact us today for a free, case evaluation.